WHO WE ARE
Self-Esteem for Life Foundation (SELF) is 501 C 3 non-profit, charitable organization dedicated to building self-esteem and leadership among young people through the performing arts at Arts Center of St. Charles. Youth grades 2-college have the opportunity to take a class or create a theater production, and can audition for singing, acting and/or dancing roles. Those not interested in performing can work backstage, on sets, costumes, lighting, sound, and more. We offer volunteer internships for those interested in directing, music direction, teaching, photography, hair, costumes, props, set, makeup, marketing, fundraising, stage management, and production management.
Our Vision: What we seek to become
Our vision is to be the most comprehensive arts center in the Fox Valley area.
Our Mission: Why we are here
We focus on building self-esteem and leadership skills through the arts. Our desire to reach more individuals drives our passion to expand in the community.
Our Values: Who we are
● We practice honesty, integrity, respect, and loyalty.
● We practice kindness, compassion, humility, and grace.
● We practice patience, perseverance, responsibility, and commitment.
We celebrate individuality and recognize each person.
● We foster creativity by understanding the artist’s uniqueness.
● We create a safe and supportive environment.
● We encourage imagination, innovation, mistakes, and intelligent risk-taking.
● We encourage everyone’s input and recognize each other's contribution to the team's success
● We have fun and keep our sense of humor.
Our Operating Principles: How we work
● We are committed to low-cost operating.
● We assess the impact on customers and society when making decisions.
We cultivate trust, treat one another with respect, and assume good intentions.
● We are accountable to each other.
History: How we got here
Established in 2011, SELF-ESTEEM FOR LIFE FOUNDATION (the Organization, SELF). SELF began as a support group. The activities included the delivery of presentations to the public and group discussions. Topics related to promoting self-esteem, leadership, and individual achievement. Building self-esteem through the arts was also included. Over time, we realized “doing” was far more effective than just “listening” and “talking.” We have evolved into an interactive experience for all concerned.